Friday, January 22, 2010

What gun should I get for deer hunting in Pennsylvania?

I have a 243 but i was wondering if it would be sufiicient enough for whitetail deerWhat gun should I get for deer hunting in Pennsylvania?
* Yes, it is a Great Deer Rifle, and can also be used to Hunt Black Bear, Antelope, and Mule Deer.* Use the 100 grain bullet for Deer, or Black Bear.* You have Eleven (11)* different Grain bullets to choose from with the 243 Winchester for Target Shooting, Big Game Hunting or Varmint Hunting.*What gun should I get for deer hunting in Pennsylvania?
The 243 is adequate for deer hunting, but you need to use a good quality,preferably a bonded core,bullet in 90-105 grain. 243 has enough velocity to have a standard cup and core bullet separate on impact, and have a history of that. Because the mass and frontal area of a 243 bullet is pretty small you need to be particular about shot placement,more so than with a 270,7mm-08,30 caliber. That 90-105 grains doesn't provide a lot of penetration on quartering shots.


I have a 243 for my son's current deer rifle (he's 12), but after seeing the numbers on the 7mm-08 I would choose that over a 243 for deer in a short action rifle. A 25-06 and up would be my recommendation, but the 243 will do with good bullet selection and shot placement. The 243 has plenty of velocity and energy, it just has to be used properly.
A 243win will take deer sized game but I don't find it to be a good brush gun. Most shots in Pa are under 100 yards .Pa is full of woodlands,pine trees.and heave bush.If you already have a 243 use it but if you are buying a rifle I prefer at least a 7mm or larger.My favorit Pa deer hunting calibers are ,30-30,35rem,444marlin,45-70,marlin450,3鈥?the 30-06 .
The .243 CAN be a sufficient rifle to take a deer with. If you load your own ammunition, I would suggest loading with premium bullets. The .243 gets a bad rap for poor round construction and at times can blow apart. For a beginner, I would recommend the .308 (.243 is a smaller version). .308 is an excellent rifle for deer and other large game. If you decide to stick with the .243, opt for 100 grain loads. If you hit a bone with a wimpy 85 grain, it will most likely disintegrate.
First look that the management area you plan on hunting in. For example you can only use shotgun in parts of 2B, make sure you can use a rifle. It also depends on the terrain of the property you are hunting on. For where I hunt at, I prefer to use a .308 or .30-06 mainly due to the amount of underbrush in some areas and the potential for longer distance shots. To each is own though....
the .243 will do you fine. hunting here you shouldn't have to worry about long range shots. my recommendation would be to use a 105 gr. BT SP for best performance.





good luck now.
the 243 has killed thousands of deer nationwide, of course you have enough gun, I'm sure you already know that shot placement is critical, you can have a 300 winmag and not kill a deer if you hit it wrong.
You have all you need. Just make sure your using the right grain bullet and that you have the rifle zero'd good. Many deer have been taken with a 243. You need nothing else.
Just plain yes 100 gr sn. Jesse from Lost CreeK #2 Pa. P.s. sk no you have the right rifle
.308
You should definately get a more quick firing gun like a AK-47. If you want a more powerful gun I would go with a shotgun. A 243 would also be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment