Sunday, January 24, 2010

How do I get hunting rifles (family heirlooms) from Korea to St. Louis MO?

My grandfather from Korea recently passed and left me some nice stuff, including several big game hunting rifles (very expensive) and I would like to bring them to where I live, near Saint Louis, Missouri. I will be flying to Korea soon, and I'm sure it wont be a problem to bring most of this stuff to the states, but I know almost nothing about importing guns. What is the most hassle free way to get them here? Checked baggage on the plane back? Mail them through postal service? Do they have to be disassembled and pieces sent separately?How do I get hunting rifles (family heirlooms) from Korea to St. Louis MO?
So long as they're not fully automatic, there aren't nearly the restrictions on long guns as there are hand guns. If you're going to Korea to pick them up, I'd first check with the airline regulations. Usually you just have to show ownership, declare them, and check the case w/no ammunition. (no carry-on, duh!). But again, check with the airlines as they will know for sure. People travel with rifles all the time so it should not be an unusual question.





If they are being shipped to you, a registered FFL dealer will have to handle the transaction. Almost any gun shop can help you with this for a small fee (usually $15-$20 or so). If you're gun-shop shy, even the Bass Pro hunting dept may be able to help out, at least answer some questions and reccomend a dealer to go through.





Good luck!How do I get hunting rifles (family heirlooms) from Korea to St. Louis MO?
Call Fed Ex 800-463-3339. They will be able to give you all the information you need on shipping from Korea. Each foreign company has different regulations along with the US Customs service so you are better off talking with a company that does these types of things daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment