Saturday, January 16, 2010

I have a felony and I was convicted when I was 19 and now i'm 35 can I buy a hunting rifle ?

I live in california but visit my dad in neveda.I have a felony and I was convicted when I was 19 and now i'm 35 can I buy a hunting rifle ?
My husband had a conviction for marijuana when he was sixteen in Maryland. He tried to buy a gun in North Carolina when he was 40 years of age. An officer called our house and informed him that because of the conviction when he was sixteen he could not buy a gun.I have a felony and I was convicted when I was 19 and now i'm 35 can I buy a hunting rifle ?



Assuming this was a California conviction, usually the only way to get your gun rights back is with a Governor's pardon. To get that (assuming you were on probation on the felony), you usually need to get relief under Pen C 1203.4 and a certificate of rehabitation under Pen C 4852.01. You can be represented by the Public Defender in 4852.01 proceedings even if you are not indigent. (Pen C 4852.08.)





However, there is one other possibility. If the offense of which you were convicted was a ';wobbler'; (one that can be punished as either a felony or misdemeanor) and you were not sentenced to state prison (even if the sentence was suspended), the court could still reduce the conviction to a misdemeanor, which would restore your gun rights (unless it involved domestic violence).



Nevada has a legal mechanism to restore your civil right to own a firearm. I believe you have to petition the presiding judge of the jurisdictional County District court and he in turn (if he WANTS to) recommends a post-sentencing pardon from the Pardon's board. You're going to need a Nv atty for that and it takes several years, because after the Pardon's Board approves it, the Governor has to sign it. Nv gets a lot of its bellwether law from Cali... so it might be the same. Btw, you have to be pardoned in the State where you committed the crime, not where you want to hunt. In the meantime, be super careful. In Nv, ex-felon in possession of a firearm will catch you another State case and a trip to the Big House.
Welcome to America here, You make a mistake once and you shall be punished for the rest of your life. No, You can not own, handle, have in your possession, or buy ammo. I sorry
No, you cannot. I'm sorry but you are banned from owning a rifle for life by federal law.
No.





A felony conviction prohibits firearm ownership federally, everywhere in the United States.
HELL NO. Once a felon - forever a felon. No guns, not, never. Sorry.
No, you need to contact your state ';Governors'; office and ask what you can do to have this expunged from your record.
It depends on the state. Most states will allow that to happen after a period of time. Some don't.
If not, get a black powder rifle for hunting.
No You made a mistake that has cost you dearly.Your second amendment rights.
I think so..check with the gun shop.
What about the right to bear arms?





Is free speech restricted after a libel conviction as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment