Saturday, January 16, 2010

Should I wear Fluorescent Orange when hunting?

I am new to deer hunting. In my state, wearing flourescent Orange is encouraged, but is not mandatory. A lot of people wear camoflauge. Would I be stupid not to wear flourescent orange? Will the deer see it? Some people tell me deer are color blind. Other people say they can see better that humans. I would rather not get a deer than get shot. I have no idea what the best thing to do is.Should I wear Fluorescent Orange when hunting?
wear orange camoflaugeShould I wear Fluorescent Orange when hunting?
Be sure to wear some orange.
wear camouflage.
Please wear orange for your own safety, you said it yourself...it is better to not get a deer than to be shot by another trigger-happy hunter.
There is no doubt that deer don't see orange. I have had deer walk right past me (30 ft) and not even notice me in my orange jacket.
When I use to go hunting with my dad he would wear camouflage but an orange hunting cap so other hunters would see him. It is always good to wear an orange hat just so you don't get shot on accident from another hunter whose eyes might not be that great. :)
The deer or hunters will not see you.
Is your state densely populated? Are you bow hunting or using a weapon which requires you get very close? Will you be stationary or moving? Deer don't see color well, but they can see well into the ultraviolet spectrum. I don't worry too much about camouflage, but then I rarely see others where I hunt. An orange cap and/or vest to wear while moving is great. Either way, make sure you wash your clothing with baking soda to help remove the ';brighteners'; most detergents contain, and which make your clothing very UV visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment