Saturday, January 16, 2010

Tips for being a supportive spouse during job hunting?

I lost my job almost a year ago and my search as not been going well. My wife has recently started searching too but she has been a stay at home for over 8 years. Her degree and experience open a lot of doors for interviews but she is getting passed over. It is really starting to hurt her self confidence and I just don't know what to do to help. She has always been the most self confident person I ever met and has never been into touchy feely moments.Tips for being a supportive spouse during job hunting?
This job market is getting to everyone. I've been out of work for over a year and am one class from my MBA. I couldn't get a job at McDonalds right now.





The best thing you can do is be supportive of her.Tips for being a supportive spouse during job hunting?
My husband is the only one who can work until I get my paperwork completed. When he was busy during the day, I would search on-line for different jobs for him. I called around and filtered out which places were hiring. I reminded him of how smart, capable, and strong he is. I kept my eyes open and did as much as I could to lighten the load for him. I made sure he knew I was there for him, and I did the best I could to stay optimistic for him. Just do thoughtful things for her. Make her a nice dinner or give her a massage and point out all her good qualities. She might need to be reminded of them.
Go buy her a membership to Jenny Craig and a gift certificate for some botox. Tell her nobody wants to hire a dried up old hag.


I'd probably do something like that for my husband in this situation.


I hate him.
Role play interview questions and video tape her. The camera will make her feel similar to how she feels in a real interview. Then she can also watch it and practice any areas where what she sees on camera doesn't match what she is trying to portray. Fine tuning how she comes off will give her something concrete and practical to focus on instead of getting down.





Also write a killer cover letter that you tailor for EACH submission. There is a lot of research out there. Just remind her she isn't alone, and this says nothing about her, and everything about the state of the country right now! She has nothing to feel bad about unless she gives up!

No comments:

Post a Comment