Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What is the best rifle round for deer hunting in open terrain?

I've owned 30-06s since I was 14 and wouldn't hesitate to take elk at 300 yards, possibly a little longer. I would concentrate on accuracy instead of actual cartridge. Because I'm comfortable with the 06 I know where my shot is going, and the rifle is still a joy to shoot, I take it out all the time when I'm reloading for other rifles. I can go though 20 shots a day and not feel bad about it. I think one of my best investments in time was reading ';The Perfect Shot'; books for N. America and Africa.


I also have a 300 WSM that I will take out if I know my average range will be 200 to 300 yards instead of 100 to 300, not because the 30-06 won't get the job done, but having that little bit extra velocity down range helps.What is the best rifle round for deer hunting in open terrain?
Really your question needs a little more clarification. What ranges are you comfortable with shooting, pride aside. If, like most folks, you will be shooting at a maximum distance of 300yds or less, all you need to kill a Deer with is a .243 Win. It amazes me all the hype about the magnum calibers, do not listen to it. I agree with one poster that said most shots on Deer will be taken at 100yds or less. This is so true, especially if you have done your homework on your quarry. You can set up right in his comfort zone and zap him easily. The .243 Win, is the most underrated centerfire cartridge ever. It is a joy to shoot. Let me say that when you hit a whitetail properly, it is like lightning striking. I have for years listened to what people said about it being too light, they have never spent much time in the Deer woods. I have never had one go more than 20 yds, in all my years of pursuing the whitetail. Find a nice bolt action with a 24'; barrel, put excellent optics on it, get a sling that strikes your fancy. Go to your local gun shop and buy as many different bullets from as many manufacturers that you can afford, go to the range and find the ones your rifle likes. I would go with 85 - 100 gr rounds for whitetail. My old Remington Model 7400 is especially fond of the Federal Premium 85 gr Barnes TSX, which now belongs to my 9 year old son who is an amazing shot. I have a Remington Model 700 VLS in .243 Win., it likes the heavy for caliber rounds. Once you have found the rounds your rifle likes, practice. Become very familiar with your rifle. Shoot as often as you can, at varying distances if possible. With the above mentioned round, set it at 1.4'; high at 100, that will provide a 200yd zero, and will be 6.4'; low at 300. It will provide enough power to take his lights out at 350 if you can do your part. With the Hornady Light Magnum BTSP you can reach out and touch him properly at 400+, given the universally accepted 1000 ft/lbs of energy or more.What is the best rifle round for deer hunting in open terrain?
Depends on the deer. If you are talking mule deer, they can be quite a bit larger than whitetail. Here in MT, I'd recommend a 7mm or a 300 win if, and only if, you can handle the recoil. The flat trajectories would make longer shots easier. Also, both shoot bullets with high BC's and SD's. They are both big enough also to shoot an elk (if this is a consideration). If you are unable to handle the recoil of the mags, I'd stick with a 30-06 with 165 grain bullets. It doesn't shoot as flat as the mags, but it does shoot relatively flat and has plenty of power for the job at hand. If you are shooting whitetail, I'd opt for the 30-06, or if you've seen it Remington is making a sweet gun in 264 win mag and 257 weatherby. Either of these would make great candidates as well. Your shooting ability will have a much greater effect on the results of your hunt than the particular caliber you use. Have you seen some of the long range experts with the old 45/70's.
The vast majority of Big and Small Game is harvested within 100 yards or less.* The most used and popular calibers used for Deer are the 30-30, 30-06, 308,and 270.* Magnums are not necessary or needed for harvesting Deer.*
no bullshit answer im not going to say i ve hunted all over the planet and i ve killed thousands of deer because i havent but i do hit my target every time i pull the trigger of my 270 winchester.
First I'll say a .30-06 is hard to beat, but if your hunting open area and want a little more range I'd say it's a tie between the 7mm Remington Magnum and the .300 Winchester Magnum.
There is no ';best'; rifle round for anything. Most of the answers that you're going to get are a matter of personal opinion. That being said, just buy a .30-06 and be done with it.
as for rifle you made your choose.';browning';. caliber .270,7mm,300mag, 30-06, 308.
I'd say what you can afford and are comfortable with . Important to become very accurate with what ever you choose , even a well placed 22 shot will bring down a deer .
Kenny Jarrett's ';Beanfield rifle'; in 280 AI would be hard to argue against. You aren't going to find either the rifle or the cartridge at your local Wal-Mart, though.
i like .308 for most deer hunting situations.
thats a very debatable question, probably a .243 or .270
.270, 30-06, .308 all work well
.30 06

No comments:

Post a Comment