Saturday, January 16, 2010

What's the best all around Hunting rifle for hunting deer in New England?

I'm looking to get into deer hunting in New England and am looking for a good all around hunting rifle, I know hand guns, but sadly, very little about rifles. I'm looking for something reliable, with enough power to take down a deer but not fling me out of a tree stand or anything. Bolt action prefered... ThanksWhat's the best all around Hunting rifle for hunting deer in New England?
New England deer hunting is likely to be thick woods and


brush hunting, with ranges short.


I use a Marlin 30-30, or a 7mm Mauser carbine.


If you prefer a bolt gun, a Ruger 77 or something similar


in 7 mm or .308 is all you'll need.


Get something short, light and handy.


(You'll carry it a lot more than you'll shoot it.)


If you use iron sights get a good bright front bead.


If you use a scope something low power with good light gathering.


(A lot of your shots will be around dawn and dusk when they're moving.)What's the best all around Hunting rifle for hunting deer in New England?
Ranges in woods hunting in New England tend to be short, and often the deer you want is behind just enough foliage to screw up a modern high speed bullet. The Marlin 1895 model series in 45-70 has the dual purpose offered in that the 300 grain JHP loads intended for the old Trapdoor Springfields have modest recoil and aren't bothered by a few leaves. Also that the African loads available will take Kodiac bear reliably, and are used annually by a big club on African Safari on Big 5. The dreams people have of taking game with long shots in the next county over, with high power small or medium bore weapons, are easily dispelled by the 8 inch paper plate trick, where you see how far away you can actually hit a deer's vitals at. Good target shot that I am, under field conditions, I avoid initial shots past 250 yards even out west, as simply not a humane risk. Of course, eventually something will cause a marginal hit, and then your strategy for the given terrain either is or is not effective. In heavy woods, a good brush-busting round like the 45-70 often beats long range capability, in putting down wounded game on the run. Regards, Larry.
Most of the hunting I did as a native New Englander was in the woods where ranges were short. My favorite rifle in the woods was my old Winchester Mod 94 in 30/30. There are opportunities for long shots in farm country and along power lines etc. I'd say something in .243 would work well if you are recoil sensitive. I have always been partial to the Ruger Mod 77 line in bolt actions but there are a slew of good bolt action rifles on the market.
Look over these pages for more info..... I say a bolt action rifle chambered in .270 Winchester would be perfect but look here to form your own opinion......





http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifles_index_h鈥?/a>





http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles鈥?/a>





What ever you pick be sure to only buy a rifle chambered in something real common..... .270, 7MM, .308, 30-06 and 30/30 cartridges are common deer cartridges..... Do not get anything off beat, weird, esoteric or too powerful.....





I happen to use a .308 -- The recoil isn't objectionable, its very common, many rifle manufacturers make a rifle chambered in it and best of all - when your not hunting .308 cartridges are available in bulk cheap so you can get a lot of practice time in without going broke.......





The Remington 700 is a good choice....





http://www.remington.com/products/firear鈥?/a>





http://www.remington.com/products/firear鈥?/a>
Check your local game laws. For deer you may be allowed a minimum of .243, personally I think that's a bit light and a .270 is a better choice.





The .270 recoil is very manageable. Savage, Remington and Ruger all have a wide range of suitable models.





My choice would be a Ruger M77 Mk.2 in .270 topped with a decent scope a 3x to 9x with 40mm optics is good. Leupold or Bushnell by choice but little to choose.





If you plan to hunt something bigger in the future consider buying a .308. Slight overkill for deer but with a light hollow point bullet it will be fine. You can also practice with cheap government surplus ammo.





Ian M
.308, 7mm-08 or 7x57 in the the bolt action that feels most comfortable to you.
Get a 308 or 30-06 for both deer and bigger games laster...
I have hunted Deer in Ct for 25 years. I have used a lot of different guns. I started with a 30-30, and a 35 Rem, went to a .308, then a 30-06, and now I use a 44 mag Marlin. I also dabble with a 45-70.





I guess I like the 30-06 for its versatility, but all these calibers are capable.





I will say that the the big .44 mag leaves a big entrance wound, rarely does not exit, and is a bone crusher. When hunting White tail, it happens that often you shoot quarter away or quarter too, and the bullet may not exit. This leaves a small hole for a blood trail. Even a 30 cal hole may be small, and bleed little. White tail are tough, and can run for a long distance in its last seconds. Tracking can be tough.





I shoot Deer really close. Even if I hunt a fields, I see where the Deer are going into the field,or leaving the field, post nearby, and I take 30 to 50 meter shots. This it typical New England hunting.





If you want a blend of a brush busting gun, and a 100 meter killer, I suggest the 35 Remington. A 30-30 is a good brush gun because it it short and handy, but it too shoots a 30 cal 180 grain bullet. The 35 Rem is a heavy bullet, and will work on Moose, and Black Bear better than the .30-30 or the .308.





I suggest the 30-06 for hunting all sorts of Game at various ranges. But for Whitetail, in New England where the shots are close, use a heavy 35 Rem. I use the 44 because the recoil is nill compared to a rifle caliber. I cast and load a hard cast lead bullet of 280 grains out at 1700 fps. It rocks!!! Nothing wrong with a Buffalo Bore, or Grizzly Ammo 300 grainers either.





If bolt is what you want, and are recoli sensitive, then get a .308. there are plenty of low recoil as well as hot .308 on the market. It is a very popular round.
Pick one.*.%26lt;%26gt; 30-30, 303 British, 30-40 Krag, 8mm, 243, 308, 6mm, 32 Winchester Special, or 30-06.*
  • printer ink cartridges
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment