Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I am looking getting a German short haired pointer for hunting. Can anyone help me out with any tips please.?

I am not sure wheather or not to purchase a male or female. I have heard a few different things.


If anyone can help me out with any tips on training that would be great as I will be using this dog for hunting game.


I also have a 12 month old. As this is a sniffer dog and not aggressive, will the GSP still make a good family pet.


Cheers BrettI am looking getting a German short haired pointer for hunting. Can anyone help me out with any tips please.?
';Game';. Gotta love that term. I'm sure the birds, deer or whatever it is you plan to grow the skins off of don't find it much of a ';game';. Hunting doesn't make you look manly - it just makes you look cruel.I am looking getting a German short haired pointer for hunting. Can anyone help me out with any tips please.?
buying a book on GSPs would be a good idea for you. You can use it as a refrence and go back to it if you are having problems. You can look up all the info you want on hunting with them on the internet for free. My uncle owns 2 and he has kids ages 4-10. The female pointer is a lot smarter and easier to train than the male. She is used for hunting. The male is used for hunting but not as much as he is too big a baby and would rather be playing. They are very good with kids. Very nice dogs.
German Shorthaired Pointers are great dogs...most have a wonderful natural ability when it comes to hunting birds. As far as male or female that is a matter of personal preference..both are good in their own right. We currently are hunting a female and she's super..has a lot of focus and a lot of ';hunt';..she has been pointing birds since she was 8 weeks and was very steady on the wing at a very young age.





I would suggest that you look for a GSP that is registered not only with AKC but also NAVHDA. NAVHDA has very strict breeding guidelines and the dogs registered with them are bred for hunt ability as well as health, stamina, breed, temperament.


I also suggest that you seek out a chapter of NAVHDA in your area and get involved with them. They can help you with your hunt training. They are a great organization.
what do you have now, M or F??
any dog can make a family pet some better than others,but I have been wanting one but I do not have the time for I have a labrador that I breed,but anyway I think with the right training he/she will be great,to me I would rather have a male,I have a younger sister who is 11 mnths old and we have a lab pup right now and he is good with her we also have a male german shepherd/husky mix who is great with kids,but I think it would be fine with a GSP
Look for a dog with parents who are actively hunting or actually compeating in field trials - increases your chances of getting a pup with good instincts imeasurably. I don't think the sex of the dog is huge factor but I would consider spaying a female if you don't want the chance of her comming in heat during the hunting season (and sending her out in the field in heat is a recipe for disaster). There are 101 traing books, pro trainers who will work with your dog, and many sporting clubs to gain help.

No comments:

Post a Comment