Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What is a good rifle for hunting elk?

Im going on an elk hunt and I usually go bow but this is for rifle. Any recommendations for rifles?What is a good rifle for hunting elk?
I've used bolt action 30-06s with 165 grain bonded core or controlled expansion bullets since 1973 and haven't had to take any second shots yet. Any of the poplar standard cartridges will perform out to 400 yards, and Magnums are NOT Thor's hammer past 400 yards-you gain a few ft/lbs of energy and maybe 35 yards more Max Point Blank Range. Most people don't enjoy the Magnums recoil and so they don't shoot them often.


I have both 30-06 and 300 WSM and the 30-06 is a joy to shoot compared to the 300 (same ballistics as a 300 Win Mag). Minimum standard cartridges would be 270 and 7mm-08 with heavy for weight bullets that are accurate-slightly lighter and accurate beats heavier and not quite.


As for rifles, it is dependent on budget and options. I have Browning A-Bolts ($630-$900 + for bolt models)and both shoot sub MOA with hand loads. I like the removable magazine with Floorplate,the 60 degree bolt is very smooth, and they are a handsome rifle. If I were buying a rifle for my son I would get him a Tikka T3,similar to the Brownings,built by Sako, and only $500 retail for Blue/Composite. I also like the CZ 550 series with Mauser controlled feed,a set trigger and nice wood-built like a bank vault. Rugers are quite similar to the CZs and can be a good choice too.


I'm very price conscious with Remington, I can go to a WalMart or Cabela's and buy a Model 700 with X Mark trigger for $450, some with scopes on them. It is way too easy to spend too much with all the various models, but they are all still 700s. DO NOT look at the 715/770/710 Remingtons, worse than MS Vista! Weatherby/Howa make a good $400 rifle, and some entry level Savages are about the same price. For economic rifles it is hard to beat the Marlin XL7 for less then $300.


I do suggest a bolt action, unless you can get a Browning BLR or BAR in an elk appropriate caliber-which they have.What is a good rifle for hunting elk?
* 30-06 * %26lt;%26gt; Magnums are not necessary or needed for Hunting and Harvesting Elk.* The vast Majority of Big and Small Game is harvested within 100 yards or less.* Even a 30-30 Winchester, 32 Winchester Special, 30-40 Krag, 303 British, 308, 270.*... Remington or Savage Brand bolt action in 30-06 caliber.*
I would use at least a .30 cal. I like the bigger bullets. 7mm and .270 just don't have enough diameter for me. If I had my choices I Probably would want a .338, but for all practical purposes a 30-06 or any of the .300 magnums would be better. you could use it to hunt deer bear and alot of other game as well
If you want a really hardcore elk rifle that has enough energy for 1000+ yard kills on elk get a Shawn Carlock custom rifle in .338edge those are absolutly wonderful and perform as good as they look.
Nothing smaller than a .270 or .308 Winchester. A .30-06 or any of the magnum caliber in 7mm or greater will do ya.





H
A Remington 700 in 7mm Rem mag, 30-06, or .300 mag.
I use a Remington model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag.
I like my 270 7mm mag they both have a great knock down
i like my .308 and my 30-06

No comments:

Post a Comment