Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Has anyone been asked while Job Hunting for a copy of a paycheck stub or W2 to verify employment?

I applied for a job and was selected as a finalist. Before they would hire me they asked for a copy of my paycheck from my current job and a copy of last years W2 form. They said this would verify my employment. I wonder if they are asking for to much information. How was your last employment dates, and salary verified by a potential employer?Has anyone been asked while Job Hunting for a copy of a paycheck stub or W2 to verify employment?
I personally have not been asked for this, but I have heard of it being done and I'm pretty sure it is within your potential employer's rights. I would check with your state's Department of Labor to make sure, before you give out any personal information.Has anyone been asked while Job Hunting for a copy of a paycheck stub or W2 to verify employment?
Not a good sign because a prospective employer would never ask for those things. While you are still waiting, they can ';steal'; you identity since identity theft is on the rise. Continue job searching. If the employer wants proof then what ever happened to calling your references at your previous employment. Don't take that job.
I have never heard of that! To verify employment, they call the HR department at your former job.





The company is looking for proof of how much you made so that they have a serious upper hand in salary negotiation. Don't give it to them. If you hand over a W2 or paystub, give them a copy, and black out all dollar amounts. That would beat them at their own game.
If the company does not use a background checking service this may be their way of doing it.
Employment and salary are verified in one of 3 ways ONLY. Telephone call, email or letter to the HR dept of your former employer. If you gave them those PRIVATE docs, ask for them back and keep a VERY close eye on your credit and accounts.





If you didn't give them those forms, DO NOT. Tell them you are no longer interested and do not communicate with them any more for any reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment