Friday, May 14, 2010

I have land and I have an RV on it that we use for hunting there, can I deduct the interest on my taxes?

We are in the process of buying acreage and currently use it for hunting. We have an RV on it (has kitchenette, sleeping area, shower/toilet). We eventually plan on building something more permanent there, but not at the moment (and probably not within the next two years). Can we deduct the interest we are paying on our owner financed mortgage on the property from our federal income taxes? I have land and I have an RV on it that we use for hunting there, can I deduct the interest on my taxes?
It should qualify as a ';second home'; so you could deduct it. Even a boat with sleeping facilities, etc. qualifies, so your RV should be OK as a second home. You could deduct the interest and the property taxes on your Schedule A.I have land and I have an RV on it that we use for hunting there, can I deduct the interest on my taxes?
You can deduct mortgage interest on two homes. The RV qualifies as a second home. If it is anchored to the land, and not moveable, then the land is part of the home. If the RV is moveable, the land on which it sits is not part of your home.





So anchor that RV to the land, and then you can deduct the mortgage interest. You will need the name, and SSN of your mortgage holder.





There are limits to the amount of mortgage interest. The general limit on acquisition debt for mortgage interest deduction is $1 million.
Yuppers.
Actually yes, as a second home, if you itemize.

No comments:

Post a Comment