Friday, May 14, 2010

How do I keep my feet warm while hunting.?

I have tried felt lined, thinsolate lined boots and my feet still get cold.How do I keep my feet warm while hunting.?
Sounds like you have low blood pressure, cause usually a pair of shoe packs will do the trick!......two pair of socks, one's cotton and the one overthat is wool.... along with some felt lined shoe packs.


Man Ive done that at -20 F and was just toasty.How do I keep my feet warm while hunting.?
Two answers here. First is to ensure your body's core temperature stays warm. That means insulating your chest and abdomen area first. The body's reaction to cold is to minimize blood flow to the arms, hands, feet and legs to keep the core temperature from falling. This (along with exposure to snow and the elements) is why feet and hands get coldest first.





Also, try some polypropylene sock liners or socks. This poly material is the same as the soft, synthetic fleece lining you find in some jackets. Combined with polypropylene ';long johns'; your legs and feet should stay warm.





It goes without saying that hunting footwear should be moisture guarded and have no leaks to allow water to get inside the boot. Nor should your feet be so warm they sweat in the cold.
Just remember that when your body gets cold the first thing that happens is reduced blood flow to your extremities. In cold weather always have a warm hat on your head. Try to keep your body warm and usually your feet will be ok also. I do use the warm packs when it's really cold but don't wear cotton socks for any reason. A thin pair of polypropylene or capilene socks then wool or fleece socks. But don't stuff your feet into your boots too tight because that will defeat the purpose by restricting the blood flow.
Foot warmers do the trick as long as you have the space in the boot. I prefer wool socks to cotton, it dries faster. Get heavy socks, the thickest you can fit.





EDIT: as for the foot packs, the chemicals inside require air to get and stay warm. Open them for a few minutes (5 or so) before you stick them in the boot, and then once in awhile manipulate your foot in a pumping action to get some more air down there, or take them off for a minute or two if you can.
I suggest a pair of bunny boots, these little suckers will keep you warm in. The white pairs weigh 48 oz. for each boot(or 6 lbs. per pair) in size 9R and are rated for temperates below -20 degrees F. Some white bunny boots apparently are rated to protect an inactive wearer to -40 degrees F. and an active wearer to -60 degrees F








Heres a pic if ya don't know what they are. Should be able to get them from a military surplus store or ebay.


http://www.qm-supply.com/zenstore/images鈥?/a>





I own and wear bunnys all the time in the Canadian winter and most of the time my feet sweat!
If this is a really bad problem extra socks and foot warmers may not do it try';hot socks'; or battery socks---both can be found in sporting goods


keep extra dry cotton socks for replacing inside sock if damp --wearing 2 pair [best choice] natural not synthetic is the best way to go with these heat producers---be careful---don't let them get too warm---i don't use them myself---i stay warm enough but i have 2 male hunting buddies that do


and they love them
I have the same problem when I hunt. I found that wearing two pairs of wool socks can keep my feet pretty warm. It may make your boots a bit tight, but its worth it to keep your feet from freezing.





One guy mentioned those warm packs. I'm not so sure about those, it may just be me but they don't seem to last a very long time, especially if you are hunting for four hours or more like I sometimes do.
i had the same problem


my solution?


http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores鈥?/a>
try using a plastic bag. put your feet in that, that will trap all the hot air. also use thick socks specifically for hunting. also you don't need to hunt longer than it takes for you to get cold -- take frequent brakes. there's no reason to freeze.
1000gr insulated boots, two pair of wool socks and little hotties for you feet. The heat packs actually stick to the inside of your boots and keep you feet warm
Have you tried wool socks?





My feet get cold a lot and the wool socks seem to help. Don't try plastic bags- that will keep the moisture around your feet and will cause foot problems.
I use those foot warming pads when I have to. But I live in the desert so that's not really an issue out here. Even in the cold months.
I would say wool socks. Used to wear them (I used to work outside in winter months) they helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment